Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Happy 2010!

I was watching a special on the history channel the other night regarding 2012 and the end of the 13th b'ak'tun in the Mayan calendar when it occured to me that the most logical life philosophy one could adopt right now is that if you aren't having fun, (or at least trying) you just don't understand the seriousness of the situation. I used to be troubled by people who take themselves or their life too seriously, now I mostly just pity them. To my way of thinking, if the world is coming to an end, it's highly illogical to sit around and fret about it. Although I'm not opposed to a little stockpiling of food and medical supplies, I'm a firm beliver that life was meant to be enjoyed, savored and fully embraced. It may be the end of the world as we know it, (and I feel fine!) but who's to say the next "world" won't be even better?

Don't get me wrong. I have made some serious resolutions in the past that I continue to try and incorporate in my life, such as exercising more. I don't make a list or anything, I just make a conscious effort to change something I see as negative about myself or my behaviour.

For instance, my husband really drives me crazy sometimes with his non-linear approach to life and it can be terribly frustrating to live with an abstract thinker. But sometimes, in my frustration I say things like, "how could you be so stupid!?!" (it should be noted, that this is not usually delivered in the most loving tone possible!) So I made a resolution to be kinder to my husband and not call him stupid, but to try and express my appreciation to him more often. After all, he is a wonderful father and a loving husband who goes to work every day and even makes dinner sometimes, so he deserves some positive reinforcement, right? I don't know that he has noticed, but I feel better about our relationship and I think that's what this whole resolution business is all about anyway, trying to become the best you that you can possibly be.

Sometimes I feel like I've spent the majority of my life trying to make other people happy, even though, on an intellectual level, I understand that we must each take responsibility for our own happiness. Thus, my resolution for this decade is to have more fun, take more risks, follow more dreams, trust my intuition more often, speak my mind even if my voice shakes and ignore more adversity. Do you have a resolution? If so, do you make resolutions for a year or for life? I'm especially interested to hear if you have you ever made a resolution that really changed your life. Please share!

Be blessed and have a Merry New Decade!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

      
Marriage is love.