Tuesday, June 13, 2006

A brief discussion on "Attachment Parenting"

***Content Warning! Graphic Postpartum details to follow!***
(No, it's not that graphic, but that ought to be enough to scare off the squeamish.

Right after Ebo was born, 14 and a half years ago, TG flew to SeaTac from Anchorage "to see the baby and help out." Naturally, she dragged me out shopping instead. Me and my brand new nursing baby and my swollen 3-Ds and my stitches. I was not happy about this. But this story isn't about that, this story is about the next day when I refused to go anywhere.

I sat there in my green rocker, my sock-clad feet on the coffee table, my 8.9 lb Peanut sleeping contentedly on my chest and my mother across from me on the couch when the aforementioned brief discussion took place.

TG: Aren't you ever going to put that baby down?

Beth: Why?

TG: I just don't know why you want to hold him all the time.

Beth. I like him and he smells good!

I closed my eyes blissfully and lowered my head closer to his precious little head, inhaling deeply through my nostrils.

Beth: Mmmm, new baby! (lip smacking noises) Delicious!

Grinning like the Mona Lisa, I looked at TG. She had a curiously baffled expression on her face and she was shaking her head.

TG: I just don't get it!

And if you don't get it, I can't explain it to you either.

2 Comments:

Blogger Alwen said...

Heh. I understand perfectly. The day before he was born, I was looking forward to being able to put him down. An hour after he was born, I was holding him and eating cereal left-handed!

6/13/2006 8:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

geez....... mom did yuo have to?......

7/27/2006 10:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

      
Marriage is love.