Thursday, September 07, 2006

I should probably quit but I'm just too stubborn.

I suppose I should start by apologizing for not writing more lately but in spite of the eclectic cross country mix of readers promise by my statistics (Shout outs to Brooklyn, Saint Paul, Plano, Seattle, Sydney, Brussels and Laurel, Mississippi!) and my compulsive apologizing disorder, I have a hard time believing that there's anyone to apologize to when no one ever comments. Let's face it, it's not like I'd be missed by the greater blogosphere if I quit writing today, right? So I'm sorry I haven't written lately but I've been spending that time reading other people and I'm apparently incapable of doing both. However I'm too damn stubborn to give up on either so I guess I'll just continue doing both badly rather then deleting this wee bit of internet detritus.

I was thinking about blog mortality today while reading about Karen's decision to continue blogging after she returns from China with Maya Papaya and also yesterday, when I discovered the distressing news that my beloved Granny Vibe has taken down her blog as well. Her delightful son Finn says she's taking a break for awhile and really, who can blame her under the circumstances? I often wonder where they get the energy to keep these things up. That's the main reason I put off starting one of my own, I was afraid it would just become one more albatross.

I've only been reading blogs for a couple of years and I've seen them come and go in that time, but the most interesting thing to me is watching them morph. That's what happened at Karen's blog, she started off blogging on infertility and she was almost at the end of that road when I started reading. Then it became an adoption blog and, in just a few days when she picks up her daughter in China, it will become a dreaded Mommy blog.

I think when I started writing this I just wanted it to be a blog about nothing and also everything, no big angsty issues, more of a daily journal of life. Additionally, I started to feel that I needed to give something back to the larger blogging community. It seems silly now since there were only a few people who actually asked me why I didn't have my own blog; but I started to feel like a fraud whenever I commented on other blogs, you know, how can I spew my opinions all over the internet without giving them the opportunity to reciprocate? But I don't really have a cohesive theme or specific personal issue that I needed to process so it's unlikely that this blog will ever have the kind of community that's attached to say, the infertility or feminist blogs.

(Wow, this is turning into a boring rambling post. How original and thought provoking!)

Anyway, I guess I'll continue writing here and I'm going to try moving towards shorter but more frequent posts. It's not like blog worthy things don't happen around here every single day, it's just that I need to actually document them instead of just laughing and saying, oh, that should sooo go on the blog!

The rest of this message is for a certain Liz in Deep Inferno, Louisiana, if you read this I want you to know that I'm visualizing you mercilessly kicking lymphoma's skinny ass. I'm working out at least twice a week, sometimes 3 and every time I go I silently thank you for motivating me. I'm trying not to think of you breathlessly banging the painter in spite of the fact that my most succinct advice on that subject would be "less talk, more banging" but I certainly hope that's the direction your relationship is moving.

Love to all who venture here, be blessed!

6 Comments:

Blogger Toastedsuzy said...

Well, don't stop now! I just got here.

My blog is random, too. No overall theme...hmmm.

You and I, we must work together to make up new and weird daily themes, you know, like half-naked thursday and brag on your kids Friday. Only ours will be like, "Well, I cleaned out my refrigerator again today Wednesday" and "What's in this bottom bureau drawer Thursday."

That'll have the readers glued to the screen.

Anyway, you rule.

TS

9/07/2006 1:25 PM  
Blogger Gr8lakesgrrl said...

HA! Yes! I can see it now, "Leftover Biology Tuesday" aka "Name That Microbe!" Or how about "Purging Saturday?" Every Saturday I could empty one box from my basement and readers could pin the year/decade on the contents. That would be consciousness elevating material for sure!

Thanks for visiting, TS, I think you're pretty awesome too!

9/07/2006 3:23 PM  
Blogger KC said...

From one Granny fan to another, hello! Are all your visitors coming to you from Finn's site this week, as mine are?

I can't believe you posted that your summer vacation featured Poutine. I had never heard of it until this summer when somebody mentioned it in Twisty's infamous bj thread, but as my summer included two trips to Canada I decided to check it out. Grossed out all my friends, including the Canadians!

Nice blog.

9/07/2006 8:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You don't need a theme. Just write. You're great at it. I suppose I'm one of the dreaded "Mommie Bloggers" by pure accident. But I don't only write about poop...unless of course you count George W. Bush as poop and then, yes, I only write about poop.

And i want in on the daily theme idea. Today was "she knows you're not watching her and will try to get away with murder Sunday."

aaryn
(have beta blogger, can't link my blog. but it's at www.rubysohoadventures.blogspot.com)

9/11/2006 5:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

tsk! Don't quit 'cause you have no comments! Just toddle off to someplace like statcounter.com and get yourself a free counter. Then you can see how many times I pop in from telnetww and read you!

I'm a betablogger now, too, because I couldn't seem to log into my blog unless I went beta. And blogger & betablogger aren't speaking. So in order to comment, I have to go "Other".

otherly yours,
alwen

9/13/2006 10:52 AM  
Blogger Gr8lakesgrrl said...

Hey, Amazon Midwife! You seem to have the same problem I do, I spend so much time commenting on other blogs that I neglect my own. Thanks for visiting, everyone!

9/27/2006 9:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

      
Marriage is love.