Wednesday, January 17, 2007

a work in progress

1/17/07 11:03 AM

Winter is finally here! Wow, it's beautiful and treacherous. It was gorgeous yesterday, but I'm still out of the habit of carrying the camera around so no snow pics yet. It's stark and white. I could wax all poetic about that but maybe later.

As usually I need to start out with an apology because I'm neglectful of the blog and sometimes I wonder why I started it if I'm not going to pay attention to it, but then I realize that I work full time and I have a family and frankly, I have never been much of an over achiever, and it all comes into perspective. But when somebody says something and politely asks a question, they really deserve a response! So I am sorry, Christina, I have been remiss, and this response deserves a post.

I have always thought of myself as a person with a high degree of integrity. If I say I'm going to do something for someone, I do it. Where I get into trouble is when I start estimating how long it will take to complete something. I haven't figured out how to do that while also factoring in all my other responsibilities. Part of the problem is that my mom is in town and for a number of reasons I can only write or do creative things when she's out of the house or sleeping. I know it sounds crazy, most people say their Mom is their biggest fan. I only wish. Oh crap, she's back already! See, this is a perfect example, it's now 3:21. Sigh. This is how it happens. Nothing gets done in a timely fashion around here. Here's a conversational snippet from just yesterday that illustrates this perfectly:

John said "We won!"

Me: "Won what?"

John: "Were the only house that still has its lights up and now it looks like Christmas!"


So my next apology needs to go to Liz and Finn. When I decided to make a few puppets (and publicly promised them on Finn's blog) I really underestimated how long it was going to take me to do that. Then of course there were financial surprises that kept me away from the fabric store. As if we weren't already deep enough in debt after the holidays, the first week in January we dropped $470 on my husband's brakes and another $130 on new heating coils for the (relatively new!) dryer. (Woohoo, another $600 in debt honey! Tack another year onto the Visa bill!)

Anyway, I promised to make these puppets and I had hoped to get them to Liz to keep her company when she has to go in for treatments, but the way things are going she's going to be in remission before that happens so, there you have it. Nothing to complain about there, I love a happy ending! So I've decided that it doesn't matter when they arrive. Puppets are great gifts anytime so I still intend to make them as a thank you to her. She was one of the people who finally inspired me to get my fat ass to the gym. (More naked truth on that later. No, I won't offend your sensibilities by appearing naked! Yes, I promise!)

The upshot of all this is that I do indeed have progress to report. Progress! I had a most exciting and inspiring trip to the fabric store and when I say exciting, let me tell you! All the fleece and fur, everything, was on sale! Yes! Can you believe it? I know, neither can I, some of these finds were must incredible. Of course, I bought way more fabric then I needed. But that's the way these things are, right? I guess I'll just have to make more puppets!


See, Liz has these little dogs, Dixie and Dolly, who are Chinese Crested Hairless Puffballs (I believe) and they're mostly white, which is fairly easy to find in terms of fabric. But I want to make a Hartley too and she's a Mexican Hairless, darker, kind of a grayish brown with long silky black fur around her face, but in one picture she almost looked like she has a brindle coat so I was having a hard time finding something that looked like her. On the first trip I ended up buying this tiger stuff thinking "it's almost brindle..." and this gray fleece thinking "...but this is really more her color..." and so on and so forth.

So I kept going back and forth on this other fabric until I finally decided that this was some sort of sign and, tragically, I was forced to make another trip to the fabric store to get it. I am glad I went the second time thought because I found some longer white fur that I'd missed the first time through. That will be perfect for Dixie and Dolly's ears!


So now I definitely have more fabric then I need, but that's okay, maybe I'll expand into tigers and elephants too.


In other news, I'm also deeply sorry that I didn't have a post ready for MLK day. Interestingly enough, I had the day off but my kids had to go to school. The company I work for is based in Atlanta though and I imagine that informs their business decisions. Atlanta is a fairly progressive city, considering. So anyway, I was somewhat irritated that they had to go to school so I quizzed them when they got home and guess what? Not ONE mention of MLK the entire day for either of them! Now the argument could be made that it was mentioned in the morning announcements and they just weren't paying attention, but that's not the point. If they have to go to school on this day, why can't part of the lesson be about the civil rights movement? It's disappointing but not surprising.

I know there was more I wanted to tell you but it's late and I can't think anymore. For extra credit, visit Christina's Erase Racism Carnival. It's gauranteed to make you think!


Keep warm till next time!

3 Comments:

Blogger Christina said...

See Beth, this is where you and I are different. You are actively living your life, which is why you get behind on extra curriculars like blogging and making puppets. I, on the other hand, have so many things to get done around here (ahem, holiday cards!!??) that I decide to procrastinate and blog. I think you actually have the better idea!

When you're done with the puppets for Liz, please post the pics!

1/18/2007 9:46 PM  
Blogger Gr8lakesgrrl said...

What a wonderful way to look at it, C! Thank you for that. I was also remiss in my holiday card duties, so don't feel bad! Besides, with those two little guys to keep after you need to take a breather now and then.

Also, yes, there will be pics of their progress all the way through to completion!

1/22/2007 11:15 AM  
Blogger Undecided said...

Hello. (:

I decided to make a blog so I don't feel left out. ):

It's my 7th or so online journal thing. Hahaha. Let's hope I actually bother updating this one.

-Skittles.

1/28/2007 5:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

      
Marriage is love.